I really struggled to find a dessert recipe this week. Wiki which is my usual go-to starting point said that fruit was popular and that lots of home cooking recipes used fruit. However actually finding a recipe was difficult. I eventually came across this recipe, which was in Portugese. A few assumptions are made as some things didn't translate properly but this is the recipe I used:
1 dl milk - wasn't sure what a dl was so my friend, Maree who helped with our Equador cook-off decides I should use 1/4 cup.
250g plain flour
1 pinch salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
caramel qb - apparently qb stands for 'as much as you want' - tricky in a baking recipe so I used enough to cover the base of my cake tin.
2 ripe bananas (mine were very ripe)
- Beat the margarine with the butter. The recipe said until you get a 'whitish mash' which made me laugh. So basically cream marg and sugar together.
- Seperate eggs and beat yolks with milk. Then add to the margarine and sugar.
- Add flour, salt and baking powder and mix until combined.
- In a seperate bowl, beat eggs whites. Carefully fold into the other mixture.
- Grease a cake tin. Line the bottom with caramel (I bought jar of caramel instead of making it this week) and then chop bananas and layer over the caramel. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Pour cake mixture over the bananas.
- Bake in oven for around 40mins on 170 degrees celcius. The original recipe had no cooking times and mine probably took a while longer to cook then 40mins (just keep an eye on it).
- Cool slightly and then turn onto a serving plate. We ate ours warm.
Harrison - 6.2/10 - really banana-ry.
For a child who doesn't like cake or bananas I though this was a pretty good score. He only had a mouthful as he was apparently full of cachupa and bread.
April - 3/10 - Yummy flavour
April licked the bowl out for this creation. Seeing as she enjoyed her mouthful of cake, and the uncooked mixture and classed it as yummy, I surprised she only gave it a 3 - perhaps she doesn't fully understand the scoring system yet!
Paul - 8/10 - very nice and moist cake.
Danie - 7/10 - Nice texture tothe cake and quite strong banana flavour.